The used hypodermic needle is inserted into the NeedleSmart product, via our bespoke guide mechanism.
The NeedleSmart electronics detect the presence of a hypodermic within the product, and the destruction process begins, heating the needle to over 1300°C.
A couple of seconds later the destroyed needle is released from the NeedleSmart product as a safe, sterile sphere at the tip of a plastic line.
Working with the Healthcare Markets NeedleSmart are launching a range of innovative ‘Sharps Stations’ to minimise NSI risk to both patients and Healthcare professionals while offering genuine operation and cost benefits to the NHS.
The NeedleSmart range has the potential to:
- Reduce hypodermic needles to sharps bins by up to 70%
- Generate a reduction in sharps disposal cost in the order of 30%
- Costs reduction / end of line
- Potential to recycle product
- Charging figures: Full charging – 1p to charge. Melt 300 needles – 0.5p
- 12.5p / kWhr
Initial cost savings are via sharps bin capacity increase.
Additional savings from disposal to alternative waste streams.
Genuine opportunity to recycle in the medium term.